Divorce New Jersey requirements
Do you want to get divorced in New Jersey? Do you want to
know what the requirements are for a divorce in NJ? How much does a divorce
cost in NJ?
So, here I tell you all about a divorce in New Jersey.
Where do you file for divorce in New Jersey?
In New Jersey, a divorce is filed in the Superior Court of
your county, or in your spouse's county.
What is the residency requirement in New Jersey?
The New Jersey residency requirement is that either spouse
has lived here for more than one year However, if the divorce in New Jersey is
based on adultery, then the one-year requirement no longer applies. In this
case, it will be enough to be in New Jersey at the time of requesting the
What are the grounds for a divorce in New Jersey?
In New Jersey, the grounds for a divorce are as follows:
Irreconcilable differences for at least six months, with no
possibility of recovering the marriage.
Adultery of the other party.
Mental illness for 24 months.
Prison sentence for 18 months.
Drunkenness Extreme cruelty.
Abandonment for 12 months.
Voluntary separation for 18 months.
What are the kinds of divorce in New Jersey?
In New Jersey there are two types of divorces, fault
divorce, and no-fault divorce.
What Are No-Fault Divorces In New Jersey?
No-fault divorces are those based on irreconcilable grounds
for differences and those based on separation for more than 18 months.
How is the divorce process in New Jersey?
• Request for divorce in court.
• The request is served on the other party.
• The other party has a deadline to answer the claim which
is 30 days if you reside in New Jersey, 60 days if you reside in another state
and 90 if you reside abroad.
• After the deadlines for answering the divorce have
elapsed, you can present a proposed sentence.
• Finally, the court may issue the divorce decree.
How long can the divorce process take in New Jersey?
You can think of the following deadlines for a divorce in
• three months if there is agreement.
• more than 3 months if there is no agreement.
What documents do I need for a divorce in New Jersey?
For a divorce in NJ, you need the following documents:
• Photo identification documents.
• Property documents, if any.
• Documents showing income.
• Identity documents for the children, if any.
How much does a
divorce cost in NJ?
• the cost to be paid to the court is about $ 250.
• Attorney fees are $ 100 to $ 300 for a settled divorce.